We love homemade pizza! And, it’s really easy. I use the same dough recipe that I use for my homemade calzones.
What you will need for the dough:
1 package dry active yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
1 cup lukewarm water
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
2-3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup ranch dressing
1 cup shredded mozzerella cheese
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1-2 chicken breast, diced into small pieces.
1 medium tomato, diced
1 tbsp bacon bits.
What to do:
1. Pour 1 cup lukewarm water into large bowl. Sprinkle yeast on top, followed by the sugar. Let this sit for about 5 minutes or so, until it’s foamy at the top. This is important. Do not skip this step.
2. After the yeast is ready (foamy), add olive oil, salt, and 1 cup of flour. Using a wire whisk, beat this together.
3. Add 1 more cup of flour, and mix well with a spoon. You should have a dough that you can work with your hands, but it can be a little sticky, you’ll add more flour while kneeding.
4. Kneed the dough for about 10 minutes, or until it is smooth and elastic. Add flour to your surface and hands as needed.
5. Let dough sit in a warm spot, covered with a towel, for 1 hour, or until doubled in size. In order to get my dough warm enough, I have to sit it on the back of the stove with the oven turned on to warm, I’ve seen many tricks to this, but it’s important that it be warm enough, otherwise it won’t rise well and your dough will end up too dense.
6. Once dough is risen, punch it down and turn out onto your floured surface. Pre-heat oven to 500 degrees. Separate into 3 balls of dough, leaving them all covered except the one you’re working with. Using a well-floured rolling pin, roll the dough out until it is approximately 1/4 inch thick (give or take a little). Your dough should be in approximately a 12 inch circle.
7. Place dough (with no toppings) in oven and bake for about 7-8 minutes.
8. Take dough out of oven and spread ranch dressing over it, like sauce. Top with mozzerella cheese, chicken, tomatoes, bacon bits, and finally the cheddar cheese on top.
9. Bake at 500 degrees for about 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and slightly browned
and ENJOY some cheesy goodness!
(Each 1/8 slice contains approximately 115 calories)
Note: The dough recipe is for 3 pizzas, the toppings recipe is for one. Because I usually make cheese sticks, and other types of pizza with the other dough. You can even make your own homemade frozen pizzas!
If you are new to baking with yeast, check out my Yeast 101 post for some tips.