Okay, I have to preface this recipe–it is neither frugal nor healthy. However, it is delicious, and always a HUGE hit at pot lucks and dinners. Seriously, I always come home with a completely clean dish, with people requesting it again the next time a dinner comes up. It’s that good. So, I usually do make it for dinners so that I won’t have this unhealthy dessert tempting me at home
What You Need:
Chocolate Cake Mix (links to a homemade version)
1 can of Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 8 oz. tub of whipped topping
1 Heath Candy Bar*
What to do:
1. Prepare the chocolate cake as directed on the box or with your homemade mix.
2. As soon as it comes out of the oven, poke holes in the cake. I like to use a knife and poke little bitty holes all over. A little at a time, pour the sweetened condensed milk over the top of the cake, using a rubber spatula to spread it around so that it gets absorbed evenly throughout the cake (Some people use the end of a wooden spoon to make bigger holes, but I feel like the liquid is absorbed more evenly this way).
3. Refrigerate the cake for a couple of hours, until it is COMPLETELY cooled and cold.
4. In the meantime, crush up some heath bar. If you plan to make this a few times, you can also purchase Heath Bar baking chips that are already crushed up for about the same cost (or even cheaper) than the candy bars, so be sure to look for those in your grocery baking section.
5. Once the cake is COMPLETELY cooled and cold, spread the tub of cool whip all over it, and sprinkle on the heath bar pieces. I like to then top with some caramel and chocolate ice cream topping as well.
(My cake wasn’t COMPLETELY cooled and cold, so my whipped topping was a little melty and flat for this picture…oops!)
The really cool thing about this recipe is that there are so many variations to it! Use a white cake mix and top with pineapples and coconut instead of the heath bar for a pina colada cake. No sweetened condensed milk? Pour in chocolate or caramel sauce. The possibilities are endless
(For more recipe ideas, check out: Tasty Tuesday, Weekend potluck, Melt in your Mouth Monday Feasting in Fellowship Friday)