First Day of School!

You are seeing two VERY excited little boys!  They have been really looking forward to the first day of homeschool.

Here is our basic schedule, based upon the routine that our family naturally follows and adding in our school work.  I basically made a list of the items I wanted to include in our school day, and then tried to place them in an order that made sense for our family.  Right now, our school lessons make up about 2 hours of the day, with (4) 30 minute lessons. There will be days when our schedule changes, such as to accomodate storytime at the Library, playdates, etc.  And days when we’ll have field trips.  There will also be times when our lessons and fun activities overlap, resulting in a shortened day, and condensed schedule…flexibility is one of the many perks of homeschooling :)

I’ve added an extra subject.  A lot of kindergarten curriculum requires only 2 subjects, and just works the rest of the learning in with those, but it’s more helpful for me to separate it.  I feel more organized that way.  So, my third subject will be a rotating social studies, science, and health.

I am not using a curriculum.  We’re on a bare bones budget right now, but I really think it will be okay.  I got a $10 kindergarten workbook from Walmart, a $32 Bible Lessons book from Lifeway (that I could have got online for much cheaper!), and for everything else we’re just going to make it up as we go.  I’ll let you know how that works out :)

I have a 3 year old and a 5 year old.  Caeden will be technically in kindergarten, while Logan is technically in preschool.  For now, I’m going to be doing basically the same things with both of them (Logan is very smart!), and will continue that until it doesn’t seem to be working.  It’s a learning process for all of us.

Our Daily Routine & Tentative Schedule

6:00/6:30–Wake up.  Daddy is getting ready for work, and the boys usually hang out with him, and he gets them their breakfast if he has time.  My kids are early risers and always have been.

7:30–Breakfast/Morning Chores/TV Time for the boys (if they didn’t eat with daddy).  Breakfast and quiet time for mommy

8:30–Official start of the school day with our morning board. (I’m going to do a separate post with details of what’s included here).

9:00–Lesson #1 (Bible) We are doing a creation unit this month, working through this book

9:30–Songs/Movement/Snack Time

10:00–Lesson #2 (Language Arts–Letter of the Week)

10:30–Craft/Activity

11:00–Kids have morning recess while mommy preps lunch

11:30–Lunch Time, clean up

12:30–Lesson #3 (Math and numbers)

1:00–Story Time

1:30–Lesson #4 (Alternating-Social Studies/Science/Health)

2:00–Quiet Time

3:00–Outside to play

4:00–Clean up

4:30–Daddy gets home from work (unless he has to work late b/c of a forest fire)

5:30–Cook supper, eat, clean up

7:00–Family Time (outside, games, watch a movie together, etc.)

8:30–Bedtime Routine (bath, bedtime stories, prayers)

9:00–Lights out for kiddos.  This is the time when Chad and I can spend some time alone together, I can work on my blog, work on lesson plans for the next day, etc.

11:00–We try to be in bed by 11:00

(You can find more homeschooling posts at ihomeschoolnetwork or at the Homeschool Carnival

Comments

Looks good :) I didn’t use a “curriculum” until the older years either. We did lots of unit studies which basically needs books from the library, imagination and basic school supplies. I hope you enjoy your homeschooling adventure :) We love ours! I am visiting from the FAR ABOVE RUBIES link up. Have a wonderful week ~ JES

Thanks so much for the encouragement! I was a little hesitant to put myself out there on this, because I know I have a lot of readers and visitors who are veteran homeschoolers :)

Your day looks fabulous. Never hesitate to share. Veterans and newbies alike, love to see how others are doing. I may be a veteran homeschooler, but I always enjoy seeing the refreshing joy shared at the beginning of the homeschool journey. Shine on, and Happy homeschooling!
    ~Sheri

3. janeh says

What adorable boys….no, you can’t tell they are excited….not at all. Hope it is a wonderful school year for all of you.

I’m impressed with your plan — it looks great! I wish I had known eight years ago what you know now as you begin. Blessings on your school year, and I would love updates as you figure out what tweaks, if any, are needed. Hope you’ll be posting more!

Thanks, Meghan. I really don’t feel like I know anything…lol. I will definitely update after we get a couple weeks under our belt and see what works and what doesn’t.

5. Theresa says

I love that you get to do this 24/7. I don’t doubt it will be daunting at times, but what a gift. Loved reading your schedule!

Theresa, yes I feel very blessed to do this :) Absolutely overwhelming to think about, but exciting at the same time.

6. Anonymous says

Loved reading your schedule! I’ve only been homeschooling for 3 years, and I still feel like a newbie lol! I love reading about how others plan their day. Thank you! :)

Thanks. We’re a bit nervous about it (thinking about trying to teach my kids everything they need to know is super overwhelming!), but mostly excited :)

So excited to see this! Started a kindergarten schedule with math and reading for my oldest, with science and history once a week. So excited to read more about your homeschooling adventures!!

Thanks, Danielle! This schedule is definitely a work in progress, but I wanted to have a starting point. It will likely change as we get into it and see what works (or doesn’t work) for mommy and kiddos. So fun to have another new homeschooler along for the ride! I’m anticipating a huge learning curve for all of us.

I am happy to allow for disagreements and discussion, even when they are in opposition to my own beliefs. However, your previous comment was mean spirited, and an attack on my children which I will not allow. I hope you understand, and I look forward to carrying on the conversation in a respectful manner.

I’m glad I came across your blog today! I have a one year old daughter and I plan on homeschooling her just as soon as she’s hit the preschool age. I still have a few years to figure out the how-to’s of homeschooling, but I’m trying to soak in as much as I can as soon as I can. So, I really appreciate posts like these! Thank you for sharing!

Becky, I was the same way! I’ve been soaking up info since my 5 year old got here! The whole time people would say “yeah, you say you’re going to homeschool now, but just you wait…” Well, I waited and here I am :)

Thanks, Kara. I hope so too! I’m so excited and nervous at the same time. This is the first time I’ve done anything like this :)

So cool :) I will definitely check it out :) I’m brand new to this whole homeschooling thing, but I intend to share more as I get more stuff ready myself.