My audience of one…

Photo Credit

In Matthew 18:12-14, and Luke 15:3-7, Jesus tells a story.  It’s a story of hope and redemption.  It’s a story to remind us all how very important we are to God.  It’s easy for me to say He rejoices over His people.  And He does.

But the truth is, He rejoices over me. He rejoices over you.  It’s such a beautiful thing.

And sometimes, I’m afraid that in our quest to live out a grander purpose, we’re missing the oneThe one that Christ deemed worth searching for.  I firmly believe that if I get thousands of followers, or have a blog bringing in the big bucks, but miss the one person He had for me to reach…then I will have failed.  Because success in God’s eyes has nothing to do with numbers.  It has nothing to do with stats. It has everything to do with following his still soft voice.

We live in a society that has long ago forsaken the one. We decided that one person just doesn’t matter.  Only the multitudes matter, but to God every single person matters.

Yes, it’s awesome when God does BIG things.  And He can…cause He is a BIG God.  But it’s just as awesome when he moves for one.little.person.  Because he cares for each of us that much.

And as His child, as His follower, I am His mouthpiece to a world of hurting, searching people (and so are YOU, fellow Christians!).  As His child, I am called to care about the one hurting soul.

I’ll be honest and tell you that I struggle with this.  I get discouraged if my posts don’t get comments, or if my “stats” go down.  Is it because I want fame and fortune?  No, it’s because I’m insecure, and I crave something to validate me as being worthy.  But the truth is, Christ already did that.

But sometimes, that little voice comes in.  The one that says “what are you doing anyway?  No one’s reading your words…You’re nobody, and your words are useless.” He makes me look at lagging pageviews and see that I’m not as good as ______________.  the-one-who-gets-no-glory-here wants me to overlook the “few” visits and see only the lack.  he wants me to determine that the one isn’t enough after all.

But God’s word speaks truth in the face of lies.  His word calls me to follow Him, His purpose, His calling.  Even if I never see the reward.  God’s word calls me to do everything to the name of the Lord Jesus–you know, the one who said that ONE person—or sheep—is worth it. (Col. 3:17).  God’s word says, “Whatever you do, do it heartily, as unto the Lord…” (Col 3:23).  Sometimes, it’s tempting to do this blogging thing halfheartedly.  When the enemy is whispering in my ear that no one’s watching, no one’s reading and no one cares.  But the truth is that God has called me to do this, and He cares, and He sees…the good and the bad.  He sees when I falter, and He wonders why I won’t serve Him fully.  And He sees when I give it my whole heart even if no one else seems to be listening.  He is there…my audience of one.

And that has to be enough.  I pray that my heart will move beyond a need for validation, and that I will live to hear only the voice of my savior saying “Well done, good and faithful servant.”  That is worth more than a million followers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. Cristina says

I know I always read your blog, now that I’ve found it, but I may not always comment so there have to be others out there too! I know this is not the point of your post but I did want to let you know that we are out here. You are a brave woman for putting your life out here for strangers to comment on and I really admire the confidence you must have to do this.

2. Megan says

Wow, this is exactly what I need to hear today. Thank you! I am a fairly recently new SAHM, and while I wouldn’t trade it for anything and feel incredibly blessed to be at home with my kids, I’ve been struggling with feeling significant. I’ve been feeling like I need some kind of validation for the job that I’m doing at home, and struggling to remember and to truly feel God’s validation. Your words just gave me such a great reminder. Thank you!

Megan, how awesome that you are choosing to be a stay-at-home mom! In a society that only values people based on their net worth and income, it’s really easy to get caught up in that need for validation. I’ve been there, and if I’m being honest, it’s a place that I still unwillingly visit occasionally…lol. I just try to remind myself of this. Even though I wrote it about blogging, I was talking to my husband last night about how it fit with being a mom too. Because God calls me to serve where he has put me, wholeheartedly as I’m serving him :) Thanks for sharing your thoughts today!

3. Marie Wettlaufer says

Thank you…I can really appreciate where you are coming from….I have felt the same way…thank you for posting this.

Thanks, Marie! One of my favorite parts of blogging (as a reader and writer) is connecting with people who “get it”…whatever “it” may be at the time! lol

What a great post! I too have been having many of the same feelings as I ponder whether or not I need to spend my time blogging to one or if I would be better just enjoying my girls while doing the best to save money and live as frugal as possible. Maintaining a blog takes time and a little money so often feel guilty spending either on it. Thanks for the post.

This is so true, Diana! I wonder this sometimes as well. I feel like, for now, God is still calling me to blog, but there are certainly times when I allow blogging to lead to other distractions and end up wasting too much time online. So, I can definitely see the possibility of Him telling me to stop that and give more of my “all” to my family instead. Thanks for sharing your thoughts :)

I frequently read your posts, but don’t often comment. I did tell my husband about a blog post I read a day or two ago (yours) which discussed the pros and cons of renting vs. buying a home. See, you just never know the ripple effect… :)

6. A Proverbs 31 Wife says

What a true statement. I too, become discouraged when my stats go down. It’s a human thing, I think. But many times when I am writing I realize that maybe I am the “one” that the post was written for. Many times it seems I wrote exactly what God wanted me to hear.

Let me just say how right on this Blog post of yours was! :) I am a self-published author of an evangelical Christian, out of the box, book series. Reaching the “One,” is why I do what I do. My book series targets the secular crowd… those that either don’t know who Jesus is or don’t want to. What I do is hard; it takes time away from my children and doesn’t pay well financially but I can tell you this much; when I get people contacting me to tell me they started praying after yeeears of ignoring God, it’s all worth it! It can be hard to do what we’re called to do when we think it’s all for nothing, but the obedience to God alone is what it’s all about. He will bring about the fruit. :) Great post <3

Kristy

8. Michelle says

I came here specifically to tell you a brief story, and this seems like the appropriate post to do so.

The other day on facebook, you posted the graphic quote of “God WILL very likely give you more than you can handle. He WILL NOT, however, give you more than HE can handle.”

I loved it. I saved it on my iPhone. Then I sent it to my friend whose mom was still in ICU with a brain bleed.

See, a few years ago, she was praying in that same waiting room with her mom, as her dad was having major brain swelling issues. Actually, her faith greatly strengthened during his hospital stay. To hear her tell it, they prayed and prayed for him to get better, until she and her mom realized they couldn’t do anything about it. They then started praying for God to do his will. He started improving the next day. I’m sure you can imagine why her faith only got stronger then.

Anyway. I sent her the graphic and said “made me think of you”….and today she told me a great story. Saturday night she was leaving the hospital (her sister was staying that night) and was having much anxiety about leaving, not unusual for her. As she was leaving, she got my text. Then, she got in her car, and the radio had been left on the Christian radio station, and it was playing “Strong Enough” (which she tells me repeats the general premise of the quote).

She told me she felt loved. I told her that she should. :)

So, thank you for starting the chain of events.

Wow! Michelle, thank you so much for sharing that! I have tears in my eyes and will be praying for your friend and her family as well.

I was thinking the other day, that I like Feedjit better than Stats, because when I scroll down the list and see where people live who have visited my blog, they seem more like people than numbers. I can picture a visitor from Bangladesh much more than I can picture #89 out of #114 pageviews. Your post was a good reminder of why we do what we do. Visiting from Be Not Weary and glad I did.

That is neat, I’ll have to check it out. Yes, it so helps to remember that even 50 views (which is laughed at as being too small by most bloggers)…there are real people behind those views. BLessings to you, Lori!

• says

This is so true! It’s important to remember there are real people behind each stat number. And the one is so worth all the effort we put into it. Thanks Lori and Crystal for the reminder today! Thanks for linking up Crystal!

Thank you for your post. In the words from my own blog which I started only a few months ago: "I was inspired to start this blog to encouraged even just one person to stay on the path and continue moving forward… even if that one person is me." I've already faced discouragement in the stats, but you have helped me remember why I started my blog and to keep things in perspective. Thank you!

This is such a great point! I’m working on my masters degree in English, and one of the things we’ve learned about is writing process and teaching, etc. And, studies show that the process of writing helps us learn, and I’m a firm believer in that. Very often, I start writing and God reveals things to me and takes me to a completely different direction. Those moments are always awesome :)

Thank you for this great reminder. It is a truth I’ve been thinking about a lot since starting Sarah Mae’s 31 Days, and I think you’ve beautiful captured what God wants for each of us.

12. Anonymous says

I am so on track with this post. I am glad to know that I am not the only one who has had thoughts about reaching zillions of people with my blog, yet knowing in my heart that the size of the audience is not what I'm truly looking for. Blessing one person with what God wants them to know is no different, or less worthy than having thousands read my words. I do hope that in time I will grow to hear more of what God wants others to know, and they will be blessed by my blog, but I will not discount those that find peace and grace through my small blog currently.
    You're awesome, and I'm going to follow your blog!

13. livingjoel225 says

Beautiful! What truth. Oh, that terrible voice we sometimes hear – someone dear to me said something so simple, when I first started this journey, “Just don’t give up.” I’ve probably heard that a million times, but for some reason it just hit me that time and keeps ringing in my ears. So, now I keep going. Despite the voice, the stats, etc. I know He wants me to.

Thank you for putting into detail what I was feeling. : )

Thank you. This is something I struggle with sometimes, too! I’ll write something I think is really interesting, and then “nobody” is reading it–I tend to brush off the 2 readers who did click on my latest post yesterday, but in fact it may be that those 2 readers were wildly inspired and it will change their whole lives from this point on; just because they don’t post a comment about it doesn’t mean it didn’t happen.

Another trap I fall into with the stats is assuming that if people are clicking on an article, it’s helping them. My largest number of readers come in from search engines. When I do a search, I might click on 10 different articles and glance at them and realize they’re not what I’m looking for, before I finally find the right one. So just because my article mentions a popular search term doesn’t mean it’s helpful!

Something I’ve noticed is that once I’ve written about something, once I’ve stated publicly, “I do this, and here’s why it works for me,” then I feel a lot more motivated to keep doing it regularly. I even read my own articles over again to inspire and motivate myself! So if it’s helping me, then it is helping one person, even if my ideas are so weird that they don’t work for anyone else. :-)

Becca, thanks for sharing your thoughts. You make some very good points. I had to lol at your first comment, because I, too, am guilty of writing something that I think is really interesting or thought-provoking…and then it seems no one is reading. I once read something from Courtney at Women Living Well, and she said that sometimes the things she works the most on and thinks will be the best end up getting no comments, while the quick things get tons…you just never know.

And, so true about inspiring ourselves and keeping ourselves accountable. I’ve found that same thing to be true.

I think everyone who writes is tempted from time to time to listen to the ‘voice’ that promises popularity or numbers. We must avoid it, and not only that, but be sold out to bringing glory to God alone. I pray that Lord gives us strength to not be deceived into a prideful way or thinking. Looking at and analyzing the stats makes me slip into that grey area of wanting more, more…Comparison is deadly. Thanks for your thoughts and encouragement in this area. Many blessings!