Our “Homeschool Room”

We recently moved from a 1600+ sq. ft. doublewide into a rental house that’s about half that size.  We had to downsize before we moved, and we still have so many things that don’t quite fit.  Needless to say, there is no space for a homeschool room.  Which is why I’m glad that a dedicated homeschool room isn’t required for effective homeschooling :)

So, I thought I would share our “homeschool room,” which is actually a series of spaces scattered throughout the house.

Exhibit A: The Bookshelf.

This bookshelf is located in our bedroom.  The top shelf contains “mommy books” and office supplies.  The second shelf contains our homeschool “curriculum” (which I’ll share about soon).  It also houses our dry-erase markers/wipes.  I have repurposed some of their old shoe boxes to hold things like art supplies, learning games, etc. I also have flash cards, kid-song cd’s etc.

The middle shelf has some games and puzzles, along with a few learning books.  They also have a bookshelf full of books accessible to them anytime in their bedroom, but these are ones that specifically relate to lessons that we’ll be learning, or ABC books, and things like that.  I have actually since moved out some of the notebooks on the bottom shelf and replaced them with some additional books.  Huge score at my MIL’s goodwill–most books were only $.30!!!  I got tons, and some were elementary school “reading” books and workbooks.  So exciting.

On the bottom shelf are some notebooks (most of which have now been replaced by kid books), some random office supplies, art supplies, and my activity boxes.  One thing I’ve learned about living in small spaces is that we’re always growing, changing, and rearranging.  When this setup ceases to work for us, we’ll change and grow to somewhere else.

Exhibit B: The Morning Board Area

We have little to no available wall space, except in the hallway.   So, I set our morning time space up right in the hallway.  We have a coat closet in the hall, and the inside of the door is perfect for my morning board.  It fit perfectly, and it’s kind of nice that I can close the door when we’re finished as opposed to having our morning board hanging in the living room all the time. Also, we have boxes of stuff in the closet (when you reduce your living space by half…you end up with stuff in boxes! lol), but there is just enough room in front of them for a basket with all of our morning board necessities in the floor.  So, it really is a perfect set up, and we all just sit in the floor during morning board time.  It works for us right now.

Exhibit C: The Kitchen Table

After our morning board time, we all migrate to the kitchen table.  I go to the bookshelf in our bedroom and retrieve the items we need for our next lesson and carry them to the kitchen table where we work.  It’s maybe a bit inconvenient…but remember, we have a small house, so we’re not that far away.   Sometimes, if I’m feeling motivated the night before, I will get together everything we’ll need for the next day and put it all in a box and just take it to the kitchen all at once.

Exhibit D: The Great Outdoors

As much as possible, I try to plan activities that can be accomplished outside, while the weather is cooperating.  This week, we’re excited to be helping daddy pick up acorns for work, and learning all about seeds and trees and nature.  Yay!

And, there you have it…our “homeschool room.”

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

Thanks, Lindsey! I see so many posts with extravagant homeschool rooms (which I have to admit, would be nice! lol), so I wanted to share how we do it with minimal space.

1. Gina says

Wow! That brought back memories! When we started homeschooling over 15 years ago, we lived in a 2 bedroom singlewide mobile home with three children, two dogs and two cats!….I sometimes miss the closeness we had….and then sometimes I don’t miss the closeness we had!!!! Have an awesome time in your new home and thanks for sharing!!
    Gina

Gina, the funny thing is that living in a smaller space has taught us that we WANT to live in a smaller space! When (if?) we do end up buying a place to settle in for good, we want it to be smaller and closer. It feels so much cozier and homier than our other spread out house.

We currently don’t have a “homeschool room” either. And, you know what? The more I think about it, the more I don’t even really want one. I mean, most people who homeschool want their kids to cultivate a “lifestyle of learning”, right? Well, doing school sans classroom is one step towards that. Learning can happen at the kitchen table, on the sofa, in their bedroom, outside… ;)

3. Jennifer Ott says

We don’t have a school room, either (and we have a smaller home: 1200 square feet, 4 kids), but we make it work! The only thing that bothers me is at meal time when we have to clear everything off… Great ideas!

Jennifer, yeah, we no longer have the 1600 sq. ft. home…well, technically we do but we don’t live there, just waiting to sell it. Our current home is in the 800-900 range. Only 2 kiddos though, and you’re right the clearing off can be a bad thing, but sometimes I think that keeps me on my toes–motivates me to clean up after myself! lol

4. jill says

i homeschooled my oldest son for all 12 years.he is in college now!i also homeschool my fourth grade son.we have always done school at the kitchen table.i even tutor in the afternoons….all at my kitchen table.i do a study hall and sometimes have up to 8 kids at the table and bar.we love it.we finish a subject and put it away before meals.no reason to waste other rooms.my dining room has a closet that we use for all supplies.we have extra rooms that could be used for school but i do not see the need!you will be fine …i promise…we have had lots of practice!

5. Megan Spires says

Visiting from Thought Provoking Thursdays link up. I love your post. I, too, am a homeschooling mama. We have 4 boys (ages 2, 4, 6 and 8) and live in a very small home, so our "school space" is very limited. We try to do as much away from the table as possible and use every single room in our home for school lessons and activities. And getting outside is always priority number one. I love how you have your US map right in the hallway and your morning board on the inside of the coat closet. That's awesome! I'm inspired to use our hallway walls. Right now they're bare…a blank canvas just waiting to be covered with something school related. :) Blessings! -Megan

Thank you for sharing your routine. We have a homeschool room, but it’s very small so we have stuff stashed all over the house. Then, we were waiting for Daddy to spray HS room for spiders and set up a whole new territory. I’m like you with constantly rearranging.

Stopping by from the Weekly Wrap-up.

Looks cozy! We’ve been working without a school room too, though it’d sure be nice to have one. Love that hallway; looks so bright and fun!

I could have written this post myself! We also just left our comfortable 1600 square foot home to a smaller rental. We are holding on to our first home for now, since my husband’s job said there’s a chance of being transferred back in the future, so we didn’t have to “downsize” we could just leave stuff there to rotate as we need it, but I’m still trying to figure out how/where to set up all of our school stuff. Thanks for this post! I might have to post my version once I figure it out myself!

Looks like you’ve made great use of the space that you have available creatively! We have a 2000 sq ft house, but most of our school “stuff” in in a 10×10 space that is our DININGROOM. ::laugh:: You really don’t need a lot of space, but sometimes you have to think outside-the-box. Personally, I am really intrigued by TINY HOUSES. I have a Pinterest board with my dream little house (about 800 sq ft.) They’re so cute and cozy!

Yes! It’s so funny because the thing hubby and I have learned from living in this small space is that when we finally do buy a house, we want it to be small :) It just feels cozier than the layout of our larger home.

Coming over to visit from Weekly Wrap-up. I love how you have made use of the space you have. You are very organized and it shows! :-) I, too, think elaborate “classrooms” at home are overrated. lol I always felt like I wanted our homeschool to feel warm and cozy like our home, not institutional like a “school.” Hope you have a great weekend! Many blessings, Lisa

Liked seeing this! We live in a smallish house and all the bedrooms are being used as…bedrooms! So we do our schoolwork right there at the kitchen table!

Love this! As a military wife, we move every 3-4 years. Some houses we get are 2000+ square feet with 4 bedrooms. Other houses are 4 bedrooms with 1200 square feet. I find posts like this encouraging and helpful as a reference for one day when I may have to move into a smaller house. Visiting via Homestead Revival Barn Hop.

I have always wanted a room just for school. We could technically have that here in the basement room, but by now I am down to just one child left at home. We have our books we are using on a table in the living room and in her backpack.

I love this! As much as I want a defined space it is so wonderful to be able to home school all over the house, backyard,and neighborhood =-)
    Thanks for linking up to TGIF! I so look forward to seeing everyone’s creativity. I hope you link up again tomorrow =-)
    Beth

How funny! I clicked over to this post thinking… ahh, another homeschool space to be jealous of! We don’t have a dedicated room either… our work usually takes place at the kitchen table. Thanks for sharing!! I like idea of things on doors! Visiting from Loving our Journey link-up.

Lindsey @ GrowingKidsMinistry.com