21 Days to a More Disciplined Life (Review and Challenge)

Self-discipline Challenge

I’m very excited about today’s post! Last week, I was tweeting back and forth to Crystal from Money Saving Mom. She’d just linked to her weekly goals post, and I was lamenting that I wanted to get back to the goals thing but felt overwhelmed by the bazillion things I needed to fix in myself—there just aren’t enough goals!  And even if I did list them out, not enough motivation.

She gave me some good advice, and the next day offered me (along with any other bloggers), the opportunity to preview her new book, 21 Days to a More Disciplined Life.

21 days to a more disciplined life

So, I clicked over to check it out.  And this is what I found:

Do you find yourself making “all-or-nothing” plans for transforming your life, and then three days later you crash and burn under the weight of your plan?

No. Of course not.  Why would you think that?
Okay, maybe a little.
Okay, okay…a lot.

I have to say that I’m usually not the self-help type (see point number 5 on the “this book is for you” list–scroll down the page).  But, I have followed Crystal’s blog for a while now, and I believe her to practice what she preaches.  Therefore, I’m eager to learn what has worked for her. This book is full of simple, practical tips that, if employed, can truly change your life.  Because, yes I think self-discipline is that important.

What’s even MORE exciting is that I am teaming up with Laura from Super Sweet Life and Erin from Home With The Boys, and we are going to be hosting a challenge/accountability group for the book!  So, whether you blog or not, if you’d like more discipline in your life, join us for the challenge :)

What is that going to look like?

Starting Nov. 1st, Laura and I will be posting on our blogs and facebook with our daily progress, and Erin will be hosting the twitter side of things. We would LOVE for you to join in the conversation—share about your struggles, triumphs, revelations…whatever it may be.  We want to help and encourage each other through this process, and hopefully come out on the other side, more disciplined (and just in time for the holidays!). Don’t let this become one of the things you start and fizzle on!  As a community, we can help each other on!

We’re going to cheat a bit.  Day 1 won’t actually start until Nov. 1st, but here’s a hint in the meantime:  be thinking about a large project you’d like to complete, as that is a part of the first day’s assignment.  I actually haven’t completely narrowed mine down yet, but here are some options I’m considering to get you started:

-Complete a scrapbook (Caeden’s first 2 years are GOLDEN…since then?  Nada. Yep, that means nothing for poor Logan);
-Finish my graduate school stuff (kinda cheating since I really have to do that anyway, and I have to be done by 11/17);
-Write a short budget book that I’ve been kicking around;
-Go through and sell/donate/otherwise get rid of boxes and boxes of extra scrapbook supplies that I pared down;
-Go Minimalist (we still need to pare down further for our tiny rental home);
-Make handmade Christmas cards and gift sets;
-Make a new advent calendar

You’ll have to come back on Oct. 31st to see what I decide (because I don’t even know yet! lol)

Oh…I almost forgot the BEST part!  For just 3 days, Crystal is discounting her ebook.  Instead of the regular price of $4.99…if you buy it on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday (10/23-10/25), you can get it for just $.99!  So, if you think you might want to participate in the challenge, get your book now!

PS–My blog is nominated for the Circle of Moms Top 25 home management blogs.  If you enjoy my blog, would you take a moment to vote? Voting ends 10/26

(This post contains affiliate links.  If you purchase the book through my link, you will be helping to support my site)

Comments

1. Becky says

Yes I’m in! This sounds like exactly the encouragement I desperately need right now! I have felt so burned lately and like my life is run by the urgent and not intention. I have 6 kids between 19 & 3 and recently went back to college and since then I feel lost, burnt out and that goals are pushed to the side for later. And of course later never comes lol. Thank for doing this challenge! Don’t know my exact goals yet except that losing the 60 pounds I gained with my last pregnancy and never lost is at the very top of that list!

Becky, same here sister! I am in desperate need of this encouragement and discipline. I’m praying for God to touch the lives of everyone who participates in this challenge. I’m also with you on needing to lose weight. Getting back on track with that is one of my biggest priorities as well.

Oh dear. I’m another of those used-to scrapbook people. I have three books for my first three kids and the youngest? Nothing.

Gotta do her book!

Can’t wait! I like your mega-project ideas. I started Project Life at the beginning of this year – I have two weeks done. I could definitely see that being a good one. I think I’ve pretty much finally figured out what I want to do but I reserve the right to change my mind. And I think I’m one of those people like Crystal said on her sales page who need to go through the book several times!

Me too…of course there I go again making even bigger plans. I could probably go through the book at least 5 times with a different project each time and solidifying the habits each time…we’ll see how that goes though…lol

4. Eve Headrick says

This is great. As a person who lacks self-discipline when it come to stuff around the house, a challenge is good incentive to stay on track. I'm in. I was going to follow along on Facebook, but when I click on where it's highlighted above, it takes me to Pinterest's Facebook page.

Roslyn, all you need to do is get a copy of the book for $.99. Starting Nov. 1 we’ll start sharing our experiences with the challenges (simple tasks each day), and invite everyone else to share as well, in the comments/facebook/twitter, etc you don’t have to have your own blog although you can post on your blog as well. It can be as simple or involved as you like, but we’re hoping for strength in numbers–that we can encourage one another, hold each other accountable, etc.

Thanks for this. I am in as well. I've ordered the e-book and can't wait to start. I have two major discipline goals. I will be commiting to spending quiet time with the Lord at least 5 days a week, that will include reading my bible, praying, and journaling. As well as reading the next "installment" of the 21 days e-book. :) Also, to faithfully track everything I eat. I am on Weight Watchers, and doing the simply filling plan. I know I can do it with more discipline though. I am running a half marathon in April and want to be at my goal weight then (20 LBS left to lose!) I know using this e-book as well and hearing about you ladies and your journeys will be the perfect motivator! :)

Bethany, that’s awesome! Maybe I can catch some of your motivation/success! Half-marathon in April…you go girl! I will definitely be cheering you on :) That had been a personal goal of mine back in the spring when I was “running”…but I fell off the wagon (and then I think it ran over me! lol)…hoping to get back on track with this.

• Anonymous says

:) I’m a “runner” as well. I more just kind of scoot along. My comfortable pace is about a 13 minute mile. That’s laughable to some, but today I kept that pace for an hour and 15 min, so it works for me, which is what matters. I’m not worried about being a speed demon, just getting my heart and body in good shape. So excited about this challenge! I will be sharing with my bible study girls too and hopefully they’ll be comitting with me to do 5 days a week quiet time. :)

• says

This is my first visit here (redirected from Moneysavingmom.com as well) but I’m looking forward to participating in November and joining your group of bloggers.

6. Moria Andretti says

I'm in, but I'm not sure how much time I can dedicate to reading other's posts (and I know there are always nuggets in the comments). But it just sucks up so much time! I think that right there is my biggest black hole. In fact, there's a part of me that asks myself, "Why wait until November 1? Get going girl!" But I did buy the book yesterday and will most likely start reading it sooner…loved the post today about getting it done early. Now's as good a time as any to start that habit, right?

I was already planning to start this book on Monday, but I’ll be eager to follow along with you gals as well! Looking forward to reading about all that is accomplished! Good luck!

Another question… I’m not on facebook but am on twitter. Are you guys going to create a hashtag so I can keep up with the updates? I don’t want to have to scroll through every other tweet to find the 21Days tweets :-) Thanks…

9. LuAnn Braley says

I tried to get in on the.99 cent deal but had trouble getting through the "store". When it got to the "paypal or debit card option" I selected debit card and kept getting an error msg. :(

10. Bethany says

Count me in, too. I’m looking forward to having a group for accountability and support. Let the challenge begin. :)