I love pizza and cheesy breadsticks, especially the deep dish kind, and Pizza Hut is kind of a guilty, every-once-in-a-while pleasure. So I was excited to find this recipe online. I altered it a bit to make these breadsticks:
What you need:
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1 pkg (2 1/4 tsp) yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 cup melted butter (divided)
- 12 oz package of mozzarella cheese
- Garlic powder, Parmesan cheese, salt & pepper (to taste)
- Combine water, yeast, and sugar. Let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Add salt and milk, plus 1 cup of flour. Whisk until mixed thoroughly. Add enough flour to make a thick dough
- Knead the dough until smooth.
- Roll the dough into the size and shape of your baking pan (I used a rimmed cookie sheet, about 13×9).
- Pour 1/4 cup butter in the bottom of the pan, placing the dough on top. Let rise for 15 minutes
- Spread remaining butter on the top of the dough (I add about 1/2 tsp garlic salt and/or Italian seasoning to mine), and add cheese. Sprinkle with any additional seasonings.
- Bake at 350°F for 20-25 or until golden brown.