Day 2: Self-Discipline is a Process

Self-discipline Challenge

Thanks for joining us for the 21 Day Self-Discipline Challenge!  See what it’s all about here.  If you’re just joining in, you can get the book here.

I am so excited about all of you joining this journey!  Except that I’m reading your mega-projects and thinking “Wow!  I should do that!” …so your great ideas are adding to my to-do list! lol If you’re just joining us, you can get your book here.

Day 2: Discipline is a Process

I know that this has been one of my problems.  That all or nothing mentality that leads me to try and “fix” the bazillion problems I have with myself all at once.  I’ve written before about my lack of follow through. And it’s a prevailing problem for me.  Which is why I was so excited to start this, because I agree that discipline is a process.  It takes long-term commitment and patience, two areas of struggle for me.  I’m so glad for the practical application “assignments” each day, and for this group of encouragers we have assembled to go along together.

I read so many self-help books that basically just restate the problem and solution as we know it.  Because, let’s face it, we already know what to do, it’s doing it that is the problem.<–Tweet This

Think about it.  We all know that to lose weight we need to eat better and exercise.  It’s the application that gives us problems.  But, if we can be patient about it and make smaller changes consistently, they add up. Crystal says:

Making small changes over time cements new habits in a way that quick, drastic changes cannot

Assignment 1: Choose one small thing to change today, & follow through.

For myself, I have found that the way I start my day sets the tone for the rest of the day.  If I wake up and head straight for the computer to my blog/social media, then I’m far more likely to spend too much idle time on it.  However, if I start my day instead, by doing something productive (including having a nice quiet time w/ the Lord), I will be more productive all day long.  So, my plan is to make my bed immediately upon rising.  This has kind of always been a thing for me, but I’ve gotten hit-or-miss with it, and I want to get back to it.  For me, a made up bed just makes the room look so much neater, and again, it starts my day off on a productive note.  I’m also committing to have my quiet time before I touch my computer in the morning.  It’s another thing that I have kind of fallen away from.

Assignment 2: Complete the second part of your mega-project.

I’m continuing on in the kitchen today. Yesterday, I organized the dishes in my upper cabinets.  Today, it was the food in the upper cabinets. Creeping along, but it still feels good to be productive and

How did you do today?  Come back when you’ve finished and let us know.  What small change did you commit to starting?

This post contains an affiliate link (which is now actually working..lol). So if you purchase the book through this link, you’ll be helping to support my site.  Thanks!

Comments

I was so excited to just have started my Mega Project yesterday that it was easy to do today’s continuation of it. Also, I felt so much better getting ready in a picked up bathroom, rather than one with toothpaste spots on the mirror. I could actually see myself. =)

As for the small thing to change, it is putting out my clothes at night for the next morning. You are right in saying that how you start your day sets the tone for the rest of it.

This is awesome! Thanks so much for sharing your success :) It’s the little things that really make such a difference in how our day goes.

Hi. I’m really new to all this. I am creating a blog as my mega project. My day 2 task was to figure out how to link to your challenge and link up. It appears that I’m a day or so late. Is there anyway I can link up now? Really enjoying what I’m learnig so far. You can check my posts out at onethousandlittlethings.com

3. Telena says

Hi! I’m just joining in today. My small project is going to be clearing out one box or bag in my bedroom (I’m going to try to do one each day). We just moved a month ago and while the rest of my house is organized and done whatever was left kinda got shoved in our bedroom for later. For my mega project I’m doing some homemade Christmas gifts this year and since I want to every year but seem to always run out of time and never get to them this will be a good way for me to get disciplined and get them done!:)

Awesome project, Telena! I have the same problem with just having moved! We’ve actually been here for 3 months but our rental is literally half the size of our old house, so there are so many things that just won’t fit! lol. Great idea to make homemade Christmas gifts, and starting now will be perfect! Do you have a blog to share photos of your homemade gifts?

4. Cathy Stump says

I decided today to clean my pantry. It was a mess! Stuff that had expired and was not arranged so that you could tell what was in there. It is now cleaned and I even made an inventory list so I know what is in there!

Hey Crystal! Way to go with organizing the cabinets. That must be so nice to open them up, and see them all straightened. :-) I did some more eBay listings for my Mega Project, and I’m starting the habit of bringing the laundry down first thing in the morning. I like your idea of not getting on the computer right away in the morning. It’s amazing how much time we can spend looking around on the internet.

Thanks! Yes, it is nice :) Before it was always cluttered because we really had too much stuff. Now everything fits nicely. Yes, the internet can be a huge time suck for me. Thanks for sharing your experiences!

I connected to the link you gave me above. I think I found where I should like but it see the following message… Linky Tools subscription expired. List not available. Can you help?

I have contacted linky tools to see if they can fix the problem. Will let you know when it’s available. Thanks for letting me know!

7. Bethany says

Crystal, thanks for sharing that. You are so right about the importance of setting the tone for the day. I’ve worked hard to make a habit of getting up early, working out, and getting dressed before my kids get up. But once that’s done I often (ahem, almost daily!) lose momentum by sitting down at the computer to look at blogs or check email/social media. I have much more productivity if I steer clear of that entirely until afternoon or evening. So, even though it’s going to be tough, I am committing to do exactly that. No computer (for blogs, fb, email, etc.) until after noon.

For the second part of my mega project (which is to begin weekly meal planning), I followed through on my meal plan for today, which included prepping dinner tonight and tomorrow night (Crystal Paine’s marinated freezer chicken). I also went through the fridge and freezer to make a plan for using up what we have before grocery shopping for next week’s menu.

You mentioned that you use meal planning. Any tips for getting stated?

Bethany, that’s awesome that you get up, work out, and get dressed before your kids get up! I agree, I am much more productive if I can steer clear of all that stuff until the afternoon, when my get-up-and-go has been established for the day :) Yay meal planning! I will have to check out her freezer chicken! Here is a post that I have about effective meal planning and what works for us. It really makes meal times so much easier and less stressful for everyone.

I've been out of town doing a garage sale today so reading this really late. One thing to change and start following thru on tomorrow is to stop drinking soda.

Will be going thru closet/bathroom looking for more garage sale for tomorrow.

Cheryl, the soda thing is a great ambition! I’m like an addict! I have given it up soooo many times over the years, but just keep coming back to it. And I mostly drink caffeine free! lol. Thanks for sharing :)

9. Coreen Smith says

Got day 2’s tasks. My choice that I am going to follow through with daily is to work out. I have really fallen off the wagon and need to climb back on. That will start tomorrow morning and my sweet hubby is going to join me.
    Also got day 2 of my mega project done and was so into it that I did not want to stop, but that would be encroaching into tomorrow’s territory.
    Thank you for the accountability and the concept. What a motivation for me and plan to start again after the initial 21 days if over.

Coreen, I’ve been {half}joking that I need to go through the book at least 5 times to do all my mega projects. Thanks for sharing your plan and success! So glad your project went well :)

My mega project is to get ready for Christmas before Thanksgiving…unfortunately we found out that our wastewater pipe in our kitchen (during the hurrican for some reason — we thought it was rain water until it kept coming and coming long after the rain stopped). Anyway, my freezer cooking today was derailed since it won’t be fixed until Tuesday. Oh well, back on the horse tomorrow.

11. Tami says

Hi! I’m also choosing to make the bed right away. Also, my husband helped me complete my Day 2 task: putting the basketball goal back up…it was in the garage and took all of 5 minutes to do.