Made to Crave Online Study: Intro

Made to Crave book club

Note: This post contains affiliate links.

***If you haven’t purchased the book yet, the Kindle edition is on sale for only $2.99 right now on Amazon!***

I’m so excited to start this Made to Crave study with all of you all, and with my new friends Rebecca and Stephanie.

This week, we’re discussing the intro.  I’ll be honest and say that sometimes I’m tempted to skip introductions, but don’t skip this one because it’s good.

In it, she covers something that I think is key:

A typical book on healthy lifestyle choices should contain lots of talk on vegetables, calories…I have a problem with all that talk. I know most of it.  It’s not the “how to” I’m missing. It’s the “want to.” (pg. 11)

I feel the same way.  I don’t need someone to tell me how to lose weight.  That is easily found info.  I need someone to help me with the motivation and discipline to actually carry it out.  Even the “want to” part is really up in the air.  I want to.  I desperately want to, for a whole host of reasons. But still I fail.  Because even though I know what I need to do, I can’t seem to do it.

But, as Lysa shares later, we were meant to live in victory. God’s word offers so many promises to back up her statement here.

I am made for more than a vicious cycle of eating, gaining, stressing–eating, gaining, stressing…I am made to rise up, do battle with my issues and, using the Lord’s strength in me, defeat them–spiritually, physically, and mentally–to the Glory of God. (pg. 18)

Lysa also brings up a good point about Eve–the serpent used food to tempt her.  My husband and I were reminded of another example of this tonight as we were reading through Hebrews 12.

In Hebrews 12: 16, we are reminded of Esau, “who for one morsel of food sold his birthright.”

Ladies, don’t let Satan rob you of your birthright through food.  We have so many promises and blessings in Christ Jesus, and so many that we willingly sacrifice when we turn to food instead of Him.  You were made for more than the bondage of food addiction!

Again, if you need to purchase the book

I’ve shared before that my goal isn’t really about the number on the scale.  But, that number is still a good way to visualize progress.  So, here are my numbers:

*********************************************

Progress Tracker:

Top Weight (May 9, 2013): 208.4 lbs
Current Weight (May 22, 2013): 203.4 lbs
Next Goal: 185 lbs (this will get me out of the “obese” category)
Final Goal: 135 lbs (the healthy range for my height is about 120-145)
***********************************************

Here is a link to the reading/posting schedule.

Also, here are some great resources

21 Day Challenge (a new challenge emailed to you each day)
Healthy Eating Go-To Scripts (Printable verses to help you on your journey)
Freebies (lots more freebies on the Made to Crave website)
Beat the Craving (a post I wrote last year with my own tips for beating cravings)
My Get Healthy Pinterest Board (lots of great inspiration here)
My Fitness Pal (track your calories online. There is also an app)

I’m excited to get started on this journey with all of you!  If you’re reading through Made to Crave, we’d love to have you join us!  If you have a blog, feel free to use the linky below to share it.  If you don’t have a blog, please share your thoughts and progress in the comments.

Comments

Crystal, I’m still laughing over how we both started our intro’s with our avoidance of book introductions!!! We could not have planned that! Thank you so much for taking this journey with me, I admire your transparency and your heart for God and am praying for you daily as I lay down my own struggle in this weight battle. I appreciate you so much friend.

I have to say that I mainly skip the introduction to books as well. But, I just received Nourishing Traditions in the mail, and there is A LOT in the introduction…so I might have to start reading them! Good luck on your goals!

3. Brooke says

I have to share with all your readers / followers that I began this journey Jan. 2012 with my sisters at church. That time of my life I was at my lowest point – physically and mentally and spiritually. With guidance from a close friend and mentor, I began a personal study (daily) w/ God, and dove head into this concept of “Made to Crave”. What a journey this was!!! I dropped 25 of must needed to pounds and gained a confidence and hope and peace that only God can provide. I still continue to get up early (and have found that I LOVE IT!!!) and spend time alone w/ God, reading and journaling. I also accomplished running (some walking!!) in my first 5K in September of 2012, This journey IS a slippery slope…..over the winter I gained roughly 5 lbs. Now, I KNOW it isn’t about the number…..and some of you are thinking, “Seriously, 5 lbs!! Smack her and shut up!!!” It isn’t the number that concerns me…….it’s how I “feel” about it! I feel like I am slipping; like I am failing!! So, I “commit my plans to the Lord and KNOW he will help me succeed”. I begin, again!!!, by reading and studying with you all! Because, it is , however, all about our walk w/ Jesus. He CAN and WILL provide you all wit the strength to put one foot in front of the other; and one good choice leads to another and another!!!

May I encourage you all to stay strong in your journey! Sure there will be bumps…..but God made us for more than a lost journey of 40 years in the desert! Jesus came to save us, girls!!!

4. Jillian Dicosimo says

I actually don’t skip the intro, although I usually read it after I finish the book. I guess I just want to delve right in. :) But I must admit, this was one of the best intro’s to a book that I’ve ever read. And it’s funny that you read that verse last night. :)

5. Shurla says

This is the second time of reading this book for me. I had highlighted lines that jumped out at me before and it’s funny that one of the same lines jumped out at me again.
    (Spiritually. I had to ask God to give me the desire to be healthy.) That is a good point. Have I done that? No. Am I afraid if I do ask for that desire, that God might grant me my request? And if He does, will cooking get more complicated, will my grocery bill become higher, will I have to learn to like certain foods, will I have to give up my Pepsi completely, will I have to plan ahead, will I have to make weekly menus, will I have to stick to a diet this time? Those are some scary questions. My thinking is if we really ask God to give us that desire to be healthy, that all those little questions that are scary will become much easier to not only answer but to handle. I know this is the approach that I need to do. So starting today, I am asking God for the desire to be healthy.

I am in ladies! I think the Lord led me to this post through Facebook tonight. I had just decided to start again today. I joined My Fitness Pal and am ready to make this about my relationship with God. Thanks for the encouraging words. I might just blog about this as well.