Made to Crave Study: Chapter 1 & 2

Made to Crave book club

If you still need to get the book, you can get it here and the Kindle edition is still only $2.99 (affiliate link): Made to Crave at Amazon. And you can find additional resources here.

Confession. I didn’t do so well last week!  I’m clinging to this verse today:

But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

-Philippians 3:13-14

Friends, if you messed up this morning, or yesterday, or last weekend, or like me–most of last week. Do not let that be your excuse to wallow in the failure.  Forget that.  Start fresh. Do it right now.

Chapter 1

Lysa makes an important point:  “We crave what we eat.” A very simple truth.  But oh so true.

Then she gets into the basis of the book:

You were made to crave–long for, want greatly, desire eagerly, and beg for–God. Only God. But Satan wants to do everything possible to replace our craving for God with something else…[and] he knows where we are weak. (page 21-22)

And, I love the discussion of Eve’s initial falling, because Lysa brings up something that I hadn’t focused on before.  Eve’s entire focus in that moment was on the food. She didn’t consider God’s truth. She didn’t consult God or her husband. “She focused only on the object of her obsession.” (23)

Many times, that’s the way food addiction and overeating manifest–in private. Many of us are at the point of hiding away. We don’t consult God (at least we don’t listen to him in those moments), or a friend to hold us accountable. So, it becomes increasingly important to be immersed in the word of God.

The more saturated we are with truth, the more powerful we’ll be in resisting our temptations.

And this is true across the board, not just dealing with food. It’s what Jesus did when he was tempted–He fought back with the word of God.

Chapter 2

Throughout chapter 2, Lysa kind of focuses on the concept of admitting your problem, and realizing that your problem is bigger than the number on the scale. Been there done that.  I have known this, but I still haven’t had the discipline, commitment, ability, whatever it would take…to actually do something about it.  The bigger problem is relying on food instead of God to meet our needs.  I can fully agree with Lysa when she says:  “Food was my comfort.  Food was my reward.  Food was my joy.  Food was what I turned to in times of stress, sadness, and even times of happiness.” (page 29)  Lysa describes me as well, except that I don’t have the benefit of the past tense. I’m still there, fighting to get out.

And can I just say something?  Using food as your comfort isn’t just an overweight  problem. Because it’s not about the scale, it’s a heart condition. Sometimes the scale might reflect it and sometimes it doesn’t.

I had the same problem with food when I was 18 with high metabolism and weighed 115 pounds.  And the same when I was an emotional eater all through college and gained 15 pounds up to 130.  No one could tell by looking at me, since 130 is well within a healthy range, but I had the same problem then that I do now weighing nearly 200 (yes, I broke the 200 mark on the way back down…I’m going to be happy about that today).

Lysa suggests to pray when you get a craving.   A friend of mine keeps her current memory verse in her pocket, so when she has a craving, she can pull it out.  I have a post with tips, and, my friend Holly from 300 Pounds Down shares her tips here.

I also have a pinterest board with some inspiring quotes and images. Just find something that works.

Finally, remember the sweet, sweet feeling of victory, and your goal. Every single time you defeat a craving, you are winning.  You’re one step closer to relinquishing the power that satan and food have over you.  You’re one step closer to giving it to God instead.  And as those victories add up, you’re ever closer to your end goal. In Lysa’s words, “One day of victory tasted better than any of that food I’d given up ever could.” (31)

Don’t forget to link up or comment to share your thoughts if you’re joining in.

Comments

My husband and I are older parents, in our upper thirties, and we have 2 teenagers and 3 babies under 3. We realized that being overweight and out of shape, we would miss out on a lot of activities with our babies if we didn’t do something. We were both 50lbs overweight so we started Plexus in March, got rid of the unhealthy foods and I started cooking from scratch. The babies were our drive to lose weight and become healthier. I’m down 25lbs and he’s down 40lbs and we both feel so much better. Without that drive we wouldn’t have been able to do it at all! We still need to start exercising and quit smoking but I’m so happy we are on our way to healthy!

That’s awesome, Nicole! Thanks for sharing your story for encouragement! Yes, my children are a big part of my motivation as well.

I didn’t do so well this last week either. My nephew’s graduation party was at my house yesterday and all week I was running around trying to get things done. Grabbing snacks was easy and fast. And you’re right, it is a heart issue. Like you, I was very slim when I was younger, but food was always what I turned to. It’s just now that it’s visible, but it was always there. Great recap! :)

This post is so lovely. We often wish for tangible things and go for them in our times of need instead of God. I like to think of my Bible as something that can fill my tangible needs. I love the idea of your friend keeping the verse in her pocket! I will sometimes put a verse on my door or mirror or fridge, but my pocket is with me all day! Thank you so much!

4. Brooke says

2Peter 2:19b ,” for you are a slave to whatever controls you .” We crave what we eat. Craving is something we long for, want greatly, desire eagerly, and beg for. As Lysa writes we are made to “crave” God. I strongly believe in writing verses down and have had them posted every where !! In the fridge, in the pantry doors and on my mirror! God wants our focusing HIM not on the object of our desire! He gave us good food to satisy our hunger and gave his word to satisfy our heart needs!!!! We have the power of the indwelling Spirit to rebuke Satan of hi tactics to defer us away from our goal! Fight his evil plan w words fromGod. Truth is powerful!!!’ “Everything is permissible but not everything is beneficial” yes maybe I do deserve that piece of chocolate cake but is it in my plan? Maybe the kids did drive me crazy today but do I really have to smother myself and drown my sorrows in calories???? No!!! Because in all these things I know that god created me for a purpose and in all things he guides me!!! He made me for more than this struggle !!!! My scale might give me the number I desire but if my heart isn’t right and my mind is focused on the number then I am missing the point! The poin is to live each moment and day for the glory of God……. Be an encourager and to love and show kindness and respect to others around us!!! I encourage your followers to do this!

Phil 4:13….(message) whatever I have, wherever I am I can make it through anything in the one who makes me who I am. yes! We can girls!!!!! Love to you on your journey today!!!!!

I chuckled when I read the three ways Satan tempts us. Not because I disagree. I wholeheartedly agree. But because it reminds me of when I was a little girl and we would attend a special event. My little brother and I were allowed to pile our plates as high as we wanted with anything we wanted. It was glorious!

Then Dad would walk over and look at us. Look at our plates. Look at us again over the top of our food. And then he’d say, “You know your eyeballs are too big for your bellies.” My brother and I would look at each other and bust out in laughter as we imagined giant eyeballs staring down at our tummies! Later, of course, the two of us would have to admit Dad was right. For there we lay, a short time later splayed out on the grass, clutching our bloated bellies, asking for Mommy.

Although a sweet memory, this so represents my struggle thru life with food. I use food for comfort, to stuff down anger, to satisfy my loneliness, to rejoice when I’m happy, and to punish myself when I’ve been bad. I’ve allowed Satan to take that God-given desire to crave Him and distort it over many, many years until its become an unrecognizable stronghold deep in the recesses of my mind.

Lysa’s comments about finding a more significant reason than fitting into my jeans resonated with me. I’ve been on a transformation journey and I realized I needed my physical journey in tune with my spiritual journey. I know being healthy and confident will make me a better vehicle for God to use in his mission. This is where my struggle lies. I must shift my cravings for physical desires to craving the Lord.

I’ve been successful in dieting many times. This time around, I have too. So far, I’ve lost 26 pounds; I have 20ish to go. I’ve incorporated plyometrics/exercise. This time around, I’ve changed my mindset to this being a permanent lifestyle rather than a diet. However, my concern lies with when I reach my physical goal. Are my reasons to stay in shape significant enough that I will remain on track? If I fall off,are my reasons significant enough to get back on track? This time I think so. I hope so.

Wouldn’t it be amazing if I could learn to crave God the way I did that piled-high plate of food as a little girl? I can only imagine that things I could accomplish.

Proverbs 23:7 “So as a person thinks in his heart, so is he.”

Cindy, your words speak to me as well. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts about the reading this week! And, you’re so right. It would be amazing if we could learn to crave God as much as we crave food. I believe we would be able to do great, great things if our sole focus was living for Him every moment…instead of food.

Thanks again for joining in!

I’m a bit late to the game, but I was excited to see you were doing this because I’ve been meaning to read the book since my friend Jamie mentioned how much it helped her in her journey. Today, I started afresh with renewed vision and automatically thought of the book sitting in my kindle reader on my computer.

One thing I think I may need to “get over”, so to speak, is the actual word CRAVE. It leads to very negative connotations for me. It sounds like a total lack of self control. Yet, I know that’s what I do, and I also know there have been many times when I have craved the Lord. And sadly, her words about loving food more than God cut me to the quick. I can definitely see that in my life.

What you said about having a food problem even when the scale did not show it rings very true in my life. I have never had a right relationship with food. I have always wanted more and more and more. Once upon a time, I just exercised enough to keep the food addiction from showing up. Now it is very obvious.

Again, so glad you are doing this! Keep up the good work!!!
    ~Amy