Quite often, I encounter people who think homeschooling is expensive. People who want to homeschool but don’t think they can afford it, or those who spend a lot on curriculum because they think they have to.
If you’re one of those people who think that you could never afford homeschooling, I want to encourage you–homeschooling doesn’t have to be expensive. Like anything else in life, it CAN be, but it doesn’t have to be. Here are some of the ways that we make it affordable.
Use what you have. I shared our “homeschool room” which is really just a combination of spaces in our home that we use, since we don’t have the space or money for a real homeschool room. I have shared our frugal organization in a small house. We have really just used what we had in most instances, or purchased really inexpensive things as we needed them. This goes for both organization and curriculum. Think outside the box here! Creativity and resourcefulness are imperative for operating on a small budget, but it is completely possible.
The “use what you have” idea applies to curriculum as well. My children are smaller, so it is very easy for us to find free printables and worksheets for them. I also have some inexpensive ones in my printables store, but you can get many nice ones for free as well. Here is more about our curriculum, but again don’t be afraid to think outside the box and use what you have!
There are lots of great resources for free/cheap homeschool deals. Here are some of them:
- Frugal Homeschool Family
- Free Homeschool Deals
- All in One Homeschool–this is completely free online curriculum through high school.
- More Free Curriculum
- A Frugal Homeschool Pinterest Board (search pinterest for hundreds of these! If you’re just getting started with a limited budget and feel like you’re struggling to think out of the box and make do, you can get some great ideas to inspire your creativity)
- A Huge list of Free Resources by Subject from Passionate Curiosity Homeschool
- Ron Paul Curriculum
- A Great List of Free Homeschool Resources from Pioneer Woman
- Free & Frugal Homeschooling Blog
- Another huge list of free homeschool resources from Happy Housewife
At the end of the day, I still stand by my assertion that the only thing homeschool parents NEED is a commitment to homeschooling. You can work out the money aspects of it easily enough with a bit of creativity.
This post is a part of iHomeschool Networks Ultimate Guides series. Be sure to check it out for lots of great tips and information!