This might sound a bit trite or simplistic, but in working on this series, one concept kept coming back to me. There is one thing that ties it all together. One secret that can make your home a more peaceful place…be intentional.
That’s the one thing all of my other posts have in common, and it’s the most important thing for us to master in our lives and homes.
A friend recently lamented that “intentional” has become a buzzword that has lost all meaning. But I want you to forget about the buzz. This is not some trendy catch phrase, it’s powerful.
We live in a fallen, sinful world and a peaceful home doesn’t happen by accident. We don’t just drift toward a loving peaceful home, or toward God’s ways. We need to be intentional about it.
Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak. (Mark 14:38)
Jesus told his disciples to watch and pray so that they would not fall into temptation. I believe the same concept applies to our lives today. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak. We may long for a peaceful home, but unless we watch and pray (and put it into practice!), it won’t happen.
We need to live on purpose. You might have noticed this theme running through all the other posts this week. 1 Peter 5:8 says, “Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.”
The enemy wants to steal so much from us–including our peace, joy, families, and homes. The really sad thing is that in our over-busy lives, we make it easy for him. We get distracted and we stop living on purpose and start drifting along instead.
How do we live intentional lives?
We live on purpose. We make conscious decisions about our actions, our spending, and our time. So much of the tension and guilt in our lives comes from floating along and not being intentional about living our values.
For more specific suggestions, look back over the other posts in the Peaceful Home series. Each posts contains ways that you can move toward a more peaceful home by being intentional in your emotions, marriage, motherhood, finances, cleaning, time, meals, and tasks.
Additional Articles & Resources
- Make Over Your Mornings--A 14-day ecourse from Crystal Paine at moneysavingmom.com to help you make over your mornings to manage your home and life more effectively.
- FREE Household Planner–This is one of the best household planners I have seen, and it is completely free. It includes a version with tasks and chores already listed out for you. There are some upgrades available for pay, but scroll down to the bottom and enter your email address to get the free version of the planner. It is very detailed.
- 31 Days of Intentional living (series landing page–lots of great stuff here!)
- Intentional Living Checklists (must subscribe to her blog to access)
- 10 Amish Values to Add to Your Life
- Filling the Time Jar
A few months ago, I discovered P3 Personalized Jewelry and I love it! Melissa has some beautiful jewelry, with a a great selection of sayings, quotes, and verses available. These are high-quality pieces, and I’m excited to be able to bless one of you with a $25 gift certificate. Visit her at etsy or facebook.