Why Did God Allow This to Happen?

why did God allow this to happen 2

“Why did God let this happen?”

I have heard this question voiced over and over as there are so many tragedies and truly unspeakable things that happen in this world. It recently became personal to me in a new way.

I shared with you that we had an emergency with our puppy last week.  In case you didn’t see, I hit our puppy with my van. She made a recovery, but that night things looked really, really bad. And it was a really bad night. My boys both saw her after the accident, and they were both devastated.

While my husband was rushing the puppy to the vet, the boys and I stayed home. We cried, and prayed, and talked.

In the midst of this, my oldest said, “Mommy, why did God let this happen?”

My youngest added, “Yeah, mommy, why didn’t God help you see her so you didn’t hit her?”

I felt like I had been punched in the gut. Mainly because I couldn’t answer their question.

A Sovereign God

I have heard it taught, and I know many will argue that God did not allow it to happen. Some things just happen because we live in a fallen world.

But I believe in a sovereign God. I believe that He is still on the throne and is ultimately still in charge. I believe He could have said the word and our accident would not have happened. Just like that. So, I have to believe deep in my spirit that the Lord did allow this to happen. And that is a comfort to me. It’s such a comfort to know that God is in control, and that everything in my life goes through Him first. It’s not happenstance. It’s very intentional and according to His purpose.

But at the same time, I have to be honest. I don’t know why.

There are tragedies and bad things that happen every day and I don’t know why.

What I do know

I might not know why bad things happen. And I couldn’t answer my kids when they asked me why did God not help me see Rosie.

But there are a few things that I do know about the Lord, which overshadow the unanswered questions for me. And while I can’t answer all the “why’s” for my children, I can assure them of these things.

• God is good. (Psalm 100:5). There are many verses throughout scripture that remind us of this fact. God is good. When our situations aren’t good, He still is. Always.
  • I am redeemed. (Romans 8:38-39). I love the song, “It is well with my soul.” It’s such a great reminder to me in tough times. God’s word says that nothing can separate us from His love. When we keep our eyes focused on Him, the burdens of this life are much easier to get through. If we can just remember the sacrifice, remember the promise, that can overshadow any pain in this life. It is well with my soul.
  • His ways are not our ways. (Isaiah 55:8). There are things in this life that I don’t understand. Things that don’t make sense to me. But that is to be expected. We serve a big God. His ways are not our ways, and I am so thankful for that fact! If God were so easily understood by our small minds, He wouldn’t be the awesome creator that He is! He is all knowing, all seeing, omnipresent, sovereign. He knows better than we do!
  • All things work together for good…(Romans 8:28). God’s word tells us that all things work together for God for those who love Him and are called according to His purpose. Sometimes this “good” might be physical/temporal-oftentimes bad situations and closed doors lead to better things. Sometimes the “good” might be spiritual. The Bible tells us that hardships draw us closer to the Lord. They lead us into the person He is creating us to be. And sometimes we won’t know about it until we reach glory! But that’s okay. We walk by faith.
  • His Grace is Sufficient (2 Corinthians 12:9). No matter what the situation, His grace is sufficient. Yes, He allows hardships to come into our lives, but He also gives us the strength we need to face them, if we let Him.
  • He will never leave me or forsake me. (Hebrews 13:5) In Matthew 28:20, Jesus says, “I am with you always, even unto the end of the world.” Bad things happen. But the Lord never leaves you to face them alone. He is always there.

What are some of the promises you hold to when bad things happen?

why did God let this happen

Comments

I hold to the promise that He knows what is best for me and that no matter what He allows me to go through, He is and always will be God and His will is the BEST for me!

I have been put through the ‘wringer’ a few times in my 63 years. None more than this last year of 2014. Yet, I know deep in my soul where I am going. I was saved by Christ. I know that glory will come. It is up to me to do the best I can, to be an example to those around me (I have many little children as I am a day care provider and grandmother of 4) and follow His example. I know that I know that I know that God, the Almighty God is going to take care of my needs. With that in my heart I can face what ever else comes. Sometimes we have to remember that the devil is alive and well on planet earth and he is always trying to make our life miserable. God came to save us from that. All is well with my soul. I believe in the Man in the sky.

3. Sara says

Hi, I don’t normally comment but wanted to add Isaiah 49:13 – “Shout for joy, you heavens;rejoice, you earth; burst into song, you mountains! For the Lord comforts his people and will have compassion on his afflicted ones.” 4 years into a really hard season (it lasted about 6 years total) I told the Lord I just couldn’t praise Him anymore because there was nothing left in my life to praise Him for. I flipped my Bible open and it landed on this passage and I lean on the fact that although He does allow bad things to happen, He doesn’t leave us to suffer alone. That alone I have to praise Him when it seems all else has been taken from me.

4. Sarah says

I always remind myself that God is sovereign and good, regardless of how things look and feel to me. As I was preparing to deliver my second stillborn baby girl, I came across Psalm 57:2. “I cry out to God most high, to God who fulfills His purpose for me.” I don’t have to know or understand His purpose. I just have to know that He has one and He is at work in all things for our good and His glory. It is okay not to have the answers. My kids know that I don’t know why our babies died. We do know that God loves them more than we ever could.

Sarah, thank you so much for sharing some of your story. i admire your faith in the midst of such a heartbreaking time. I especially love this–> “I don’t have to know or understand His purpose. I just have to know that He has one and He is at work in all things for our good and His glory” That is exactly how I feel about it as well. What a testimony you are!

I just try and remember that God really, really loves me, all the time! His Love never fails. Also try and put my suffering in the context of what other people are facing, and remember to count my blessings.

Hi, Crystal! Thank you for linking this with us at Grace and Truth with us last week. So many of the verses you shared have become dear to me over the years. I’m sure many will appreciate your perspective on trials. :)