When I first learned about Amazon Prime, I was very hesitant about it. I’m very frugal (okay, I’m cheap!), and that $99 investment seemed like a lot. Would I really get my money’s worth? I wasn’t so sure.
However, after having and using Amazon Prime for the last year, I can say with certainty, it’s worth the $99!
At least, we think it’s worth it, and I wanted to share some of the reasons why, including some of the lesser known benefits of Amazon Prime.
1. Get a Free Trial
Don’t take my word for it! Amazon offers a FREE 30-day trial of Amazon Prime. So, you can sign up free and take advantage of all these perks and see for yourself if you think it’s really worth it.
If you don’t want to continue your membership, you can cancel within the first 30 days to avoid being charged. I like to set a reminder on my phone for things like that.
2. Early Access to Deals
In addition to prime-only deals, prime members also get early access to deals, such as Black Friday deals. This is great because there were several deals that sold out during the prime early access during Black Friday deals last year.
3. No minimums for free shipping
Amazon offers free shipping with a $35 purchase. However, I found that I was spending more than I would have otherwise, because of the high cost of shipping–in some cases, it was literally less to add more stuff in order to get to that minimum for free shipping. I tried to be responsible about it and buy things I thought we’d need, but I still spent more than I’d planned.
With Amazon Prime, I can get free shipping on anything (with the exception of add-on items).
Some examples of low cost items:
- Little Dover Activity Books, $1.50 with FREE prime shipping
- Love Comes Softly Complete 10-DVD set, $7.99 with FREE prime shipping
- Lots of books and CD’s for around $5 or even less!
The point here is that there are no minimums! If you need a $5 item and it’s not an add-on, you can get it shipped to you for free. This is great for me since I live in a small town in a rural area and it’s harder to find things locally.
4. Competitive Pricing
When Amazon was newer, most of the things they sold were more expensive than I could get at locally at discount stores. Now, I’m finding more and more that their pricing is very competitive, and many things I can actually find for less than at Walmart (which is a 45 minute drive one way, so I also save on gas and time!).
Here are just a few deals I’ve gotten recently at Amazon.
- Curtain Panels for $5 each–they were nicer than the ones I could find at the dollar store, and about half the price. These were add-ons, so I had to add $5 more to get to the $25 limit, since I needed 4 panels, but I still saved about $15 and got a bonus item.
- A Crock-pot for less than Walmart (and less hassle since all I had to do was wait for it to come!). Note: I purchased this several months ago and the price has now increased a bit, but they have others that are around $20 or less.
- Brain-Quest Workbooks for $6.69 (they are now around $7.75)–the nearest place to get these is 30 minutes to an hour away and they are $12.95.
- Turbo-tax. The price has now increased, but I purchased this at tax time and saved around $75 when compared to the turbo tax website.
- Love Comes Softly 10-dvd complete collection for $7.99. This is a great deal! The set retails for $19.99, which is around what I paid when I bought it, and even that was a great deal!
- A 2-pack of our favorite universal remote for $10.99. The price has now increased to $15, but we couldn’t find this locally and the closest thing was at wal-mart (30 minutes away, one way), and it was $25 for one remote. We got an extra for much less.
I could go on and on, but I’ll stop! The point is, there are some great deals to be had at amazon, and those deals are even better when you have free 2-day shipping with no minimums.
5. Free for Students!
Are you a student with a .edu email address? If so, you can take advantage of FREE Amazon prime benefits!
6. Free 2-day shipping
Okay, so this is probably the perk that everyone already knows about, but it’s worth mentioning! Sometimes I procrastinate or am otherwise not able to order something, and I need it quickly. 2-day shipping is about as quick as it gets for shipping things, unless you want to pay an exorbitant amount of shipping fees. And getting it for FREE is just awesome. They even offer weekend delivery for some items!
The only bad thing is that I’m a bit spoiled to super-fast shipping.
7. A free credit for no-rush shipping
This is one of those quiet perks that not everyone knows about. If you’re not in a hurry for your purchase, you can be rewarded for choosing no-rush shipping. If you choose no-rush shipping, your item will arrive in around a week, and you’ll get a free credit for certain digital purchases! Right now, I have $14.07 in promotional credits in my account, just waiting to be spent on kindle books–just for choosing no-rush shipping on some purchases that I wasn’t in a hurry for. I could also use it for streaming videos, or mp3 purchases.
8. Kindle Book Lending Program
If you’re a prime member, once a month you can borrow a book from the Kindle lending library. There are many to choose from, including my book Intentional Marriage. This is a great way to try out new books and authors at no risk to you.
9. Streaming Video/Music
This is an aspect of Amazon Prime that I haven’t used much, but it’s a great perk to people with better internet access limits than I have. Your prime membership includes streaming video for no extra charge! They have a large variety of movies, and shows including the PBS hit, Downton Abbey.
They also have a huge selection of kids & family shows.
10. Share Your Account w/ up to 4 other people
If the price tag still seems overwhelming, you can share your account (and split the membership fee). You can share among family members living in the same household, or among co-workers. Only the 2-day shipping is shareable, so the other features–prime video, music, and lending library, are only accessible to the primary account holder. However, this is a great way to save some money on the 2-day free shipping benefits.
Related Articles & Deals
- Get 2 FREE books on Audible
- Get the FREE kindle reading app
- Create a Baby Registry on Amazon
- Create a Wedding Registry on Amazon
- 7 ways to get free and almost-free books
- How I feed our family of 4 on $200/month
I’m sooo excited about today’s giveaway! Since I love Amazon Prime so much, I decided to give it to one of you!
Amazon allows you to give an Amazon Prime membership as a gift, and that’s exactly what I’m going to do!
This giveaway has ended. Congrats to Carlie S.