The Lord is sovereign and He allows trials to come into our lives for a variety of reasons. The Bible is filled with men and women who were brought through the fire. Men and women who were overwhelmed and given tasks above what they were able to fulfill on their own.
Paul says this, “we were burdened beyond measure, above strength, so that we despaired even of life. Yes, we had the sentence of death in ourselves, that we should not trust in ourselves but in God who raises the dead.”
Oftentimes, life is more than we can handle. It’s more than we can bear. But it’s never too much for Him.
God’s word says that He will bear the load for us if we will only let Him.
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. -Matthew 11:28-30
If you are feeling weary and burdened, let those words wash over you today. Sometimes we hear certain verses so much they can almost lose their meaning, but don’t let it. Really soak in the fact that the Lord Jesus Christ wants to take your burdens from you. He will carry them. We can trust in the Lord and His sovereignty, no matter what the day brings.
Turn to the Lord right now and give your burdens to him.
“Oh what peace we often forfeit,
Oh what needless pain we bear;
All because we do not carry
everything to God in prayer.”
What a sweet reminder that so many burdens would lesson when we trust in His sovereignty and give our burdens over to Him.
God’s word is filled with encouragement for His people! The book of Psalms is a great place to start. David often felt discouraged and even depressed. He had enemies coming at him from all sides. He was often near the point of being overwhelmed. Yet He turned to the Lord in every trial and trusted in Him. Even through the worst of it, he could say that he trusted the Lord, His deliverer.
God is your deliverer. Meditate on God’s word. The reminder that He is able and in control may be just what you need to lift your spirits.
Here is a link to some scriptures for those who are struggling.
- Praise/Worship. Turn on some hymns or worship music and praise God. There are so many reasons to praise Him, and getting your focus off of your problems and onto your creator might be just the thing you need to perk up.
- Pray. A secret I’ve learned is to pray for someone else. Oftentimes, I’m so down that even praying about my own problems can be disheartening–because my focus is still on my problems! Instead, trying praising God, thanking Him, and praying for someone else.
- Read your Bible. Make a list of encouraging verses. Copy some onto index cards to memorize. When those bad days come, you’ll have scripture–God’s words of life and truth–in your arsenal to use against it and get back on track.
Other Resources & Articles
- The Homemaker’s Quiet Time Journal–my book to help you get the most out of your quiet time. A guide and journal.
- Why Does God Let Bad Things Happen?
- What we can learn from Joseph about giving thanks in the midst of trials
When You Need Encouragement