A Confession about How I Get my Daily Quiet Time

I have a little confession to make.

Finally! A mom with young children shares how she gets her quiet time in without getting up at 4 a.m.! Great wisdom and tips in this post.

I’ve shared here that I’m reading through the Bible in a year. And what an amazing journey it has been so far! I’m loving it. It seems that the Lord is speaking to me through His word so much more in the midst of these longer passages of reading. It has been such a blessing in how He has used my daily quiet time to speak to me and the exact situations I’m going through at the time.

I’ve shared about how important it is to make your daily quiet time a priority.

My Confession

I use the television to help me get my quiet time every day.

There. I admitted it. I abhor the practice of using the television as a “babysitter,” but I do it most days to get my quiet time and honestly? I don’t feel that bad about it.

Because spending time alone with God is important. And it makes me a better wife, mom, and person. I understand as well as anybody that it can be hard to get an extended amount of time of quiet in order to concentrate in study and prayer. Yes, there are probably much better ways to get that quiet time, but I have learned to give myself grace.

Sometimes, we have to accept good enough in order to avoid nothing at all. {<—tweet this}

So, most mornings, my boys kick back in the living room and eat breakfast while they watch approximately 1 hour of kid-friendly, mom-approved television. And I hide away in the next room to study my Bible and pray. My boys are very early risers and my getting up before them just isn’t feasible or realistic for me at this time. So, I took my own advice from my Homemaker’s Quiet Time Journal–I found something that would work for me and my family. Something that we all enjoy, and something that I can stick with and be consistent with.

That is the most important thing. We can get so caught up in comparing ourselves. And some moms get so caught up in trying to say that theirs is the only “right” way. But, there is no perfect way. And the only right way is the one that works for you.

I do sometimes use quiet time activities for my boys instead of television, but for now this is what is working for us.

Content

The biggest problem with kids and TV is that there is such a lack of Christ-Honoring content available to them. Most programming geared toward children these days has a lot of questionable content–kids are rude to parents, parents are absent or mocked, children are rude to one another, make fun of one another, use unkind words.

Call me a prude, but I would prefer that the programs my children watch model the good habits that we want them to have. For this reason, I’ve been building our DVD collection, and I wanted to share with you a few of our favorites. Some are not overtly Christian (like the boxcar Children), but they all display great values, and respectful behaviors.

These are just a few of our favorites, but there are lots of great Christian children’s shows out there if you look. Yes, it’s possible to use TV to get your quiet time, while still providing educational and/or Biblically-based programming for your little ones.

How I get my Daily Bible Time...without getting up at 4:00 am!

Comments

Love the new look of your blog and yes, I use the same trick on the 2 year old! We have a collection of Playschool, Wiggles, and Maisy dvds as we don't have our tv connected and she is allowed one in morning, one arvo and one at night.

That sounds great! I would LOVE to not have TV connected! My hubby, however, loves his sports which is the one thing that is difficult or impossible to get without satellite TV.

Yes, exactly! It’s important that we spend time with Him…not that it looks like everyone else :)

I love that you are giving yourself grace in parenting. My current daily prayer time is having a moment with God before rolling out of bed. The moment is literally like 5 seconds long, with me basically inviting God to speak to me and lead me. I pause, and wait for him to say anything. That’s it. And with 3 little kids, it’s all I can handle these days. Like you said…grace!

Hi, I'm visiting here from Christian Bloggers on Facebook. It's great that you've found a way to get in your prayer/quiet time. I'm at a different stage in my life and find that doing my journaling/Bible reading/prayer before I get out of bed is best for me. Otherwise, I get too involved in daily tasks. Good post.

I completely understand! It’s definitely awesome to make it a priority first thing in the morning :)

4. helloleahgrey says

Hello! Nice post. And don’t feel bad for goodness sake, I was raised watching “secular” television and I turned out alright lol what really matters is if God is in your home, in their hearts and they feel loved! Sounds like you’re doing everything right, Mama!

Way to go! No judgement here. You do what you gotta do, especially when spending time with God is on the line. And, I agree, getting your alone time with the Lord is a major priority, one that a lot of people are letting slip. I recently started waking up before my children in order to pray and read. I am not a morning person, so you can understand the struggle. lol But, my God time was slippoing through the cracks so I had to do something! It has totally made a difference in my life!

I enjoyed your post a lot. You sound like a very dedicated mother, leading your children in the paths of righteousness. It isn’t easy. Although my only child is grown with a child of her own, I can so relate to the TV program dilemma, and it’s only become worse. Bless you in your journey.

Thank you so much for your encouragement, Gayle! I do my best, I know there are times when I could do so much better, but I’m working on it :) Yes, tv programming is certainly a dilemma, and more often than not, we are those “mean” parents who won’t let our kids watch the shows that all the other kids are watching :/

7. Mommy's Apron says

It’s so encouraging to see you make your time with the Lord such a priority. I am so glad you have found something that works for your family. That is wonderful! I’m glad I found you over at #SmallVictoriesSundayLinkup.

I loved this phrase: “And the only right way is the one that works for you.” – so true, yet so easy to forget in all the “you should do this” and “you should do that” of all the media!

I agree. It's a problem to OVER-use TV, but I am all for using it in measured amounts to achieve some sanity and especially to make time for things that are essential in our personal lives.

It worries me that families are not taking time to worship together, let alone finding time for keeping God into our daily lives. It is important to have quiet time to reflect and talk to God!
    Thank you for sharing your messages on Oh My Heartsie Girls WW this week! #OMHGWW
    Have a great week!
    Karren

That’s an interesting blog post for sure! I also have to admit that although I don’t watch TV, I do like to watch movies or shows on Netflix or even documentaries to relax and have some quiet time. Or read or craft, but those are more common I think. The most important thing – I think – is to make sure that the content we are consuming is nourishing us in some way. So no junk TV or horror or other cruel/”stupid” content. I prefer something that actually makes me feel good or that is thought-provoking.

Thank you for sharing this at the Friday Favorites linky party this week :)

*Maisy

This is so good. I’ve had to learn to be flexible about my routine, and yet to be determined that daily Bible reading and prayer are non-negotiable. It’s ok if it doesn’t look the same everyday. Thanks for sharing your experience with this.

Yes, absolutely! I have learned the same thing–flexibility is key, but at the same time my Bible time needs to be non-negotiable. For me this means usually in the morning because I have found I’m not great at sticking with it if I plan to get to it later in the day. Sometimes that does happen, but I think a huge thing that helped me was being realistic about my own limitations.

It’s true! Starting the day off right with time with God is essential! It doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks as long as we are pleasing God!

I’m starting to feel the need for a Quite Time that is really a set time every day. I don’t have children but have other challenges.
    I’m visiting today from Friday Favorites Link Party.
    ~ Megin of VMG206

Yes! There are always challenges, Megin. I had challenges before children as well and my biggest regret is that it took me so many years to stick to the commitment to read my Bible through in a year. I’m 34 years old. I could have read it through at least 15 times by now if I’d been more diligent earlier in life. I’m so glad I was able to start now though :)

Good for you, girl — there is nothing wrong with giving the kids an hour or so of screen time each day for the sake of your sanity!!! I am a writer and work from home, so we have our same routine every day: wake up, have breakfast together, play, go out and do our big activity for the day, come home and eat, and then my toddler chooses a movie to watch in the afternoon while I get some articles written. In my opinion, it’s all about balance!

Definitely all about balance! It sounds like you have found a routine that works for you :)

Haha…I’m all about keeping it real! I really don’t like TV, but some things are worth it and as long as they have edifying options, it can be good downtime for them as well. Win-Win.

16. diyadulation says

Our family loves the animated Box Car Children movie! Such a great and wholesome film that teaches my children to see (and be) the good in the world.

Yes! I was really pleasantly surprised at what a sweet and uplifting adaptation this was.

17. Cassie Rea says

Yes! With 3 kids 6 and under, this is us!! We have invested in Superbook DVDs and our kids watch these while I study and they are learning a ton about God at the same time too. 🙂