Homemaking is a Biblical Calling

This post is a part of my Truth About Homemaking series where I’m exploring some foundational beliefs about homemaking. You can start here to read from the beginning.

The very first truth we need to realize about homemaking is that it is a Biblical calling. This core foundation shapes our attitudes and beliefs regarding our homemaking.

Homemaking is a Calling 2

What do I mean when I say that homemaking is a calling? I mean it’s not a choice that someone makes between being a stay-at-home mom or a working mom. It’s not just another job or career that you can punch a time clock and check out at 5 pm. It’s not even something that we can choose to do or not.  It’s a non-negotiable calling from the Lord that pervades and colors every other aspect of life.

We live in a society that has all sorts of ideas about what women should do. But I find it’s always best to go back to the Word of God. He created me, and He has the final say about what I should be doing with my life.

From the very beginning of time, the Lord created women to be mothers and homemakers. God created the family unit in Genesis and that family unit is expanded upon throughout His word, with clear roles and guidance for each person within it, including women.

What the Bible Says about Homemaking

There are many verses and passages throughout the Bible that refer to women, and the concept of homemaking (Proverbs 31 is a great example of this). However, there are also a couple of New Testament passages that specifically speak to women being homemakers.

In 1 Timothy 5:14, Paul says that young widowed women should remarry and be managers of the home. Of course this is not only for widows. He is simply telling them to repeat what a young woman in general should do. This is what the Bible calls us to–to be managers of our homes.

Titus 2, verses 4 and 5 tell us a bit more about some of the things a woman should do, “love their husbands, love their children, to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be blasphemed.”

Thus there is a clear Biblical calling for young women to be keepers of the home.

A Clear Calling

Ladies, despite what our culture may tell us, this is not something we can get around, excuse, or ignore; we are called by God to be homemakers and managers of the home. It is a vital part of how we bring him glory in our daily lives.

In our modern society, we are told that we can have it all. We’re told that we should strive for greatness and not settle for being ordinary. I can’t count the number of times I’ve been chastised for “wasting” my college degree or potential by being a full-time mother and homemaker.

God does not require that all of us be “great,” in the world’s eyes or. He does directly call us to care for our homes and families. And in that He is glorified, even when it feels mundane and ordinary.

Why? Because we are doing it in obedience to Him, and that’s always the best thing.

Related Articles & Resources

Homemaking is a Calling

Comments

1. Beth Cranford says

I’m so glad you’re doing this series and that you created your Peaceful Home course. Both a great fit for you and so needed!
    Thanks for linking to my “ordinary” post!

I completely agree – what makes up homemaking is so much more than chores. It’s having servant heart, a gentle spirit, demonstrating Christ in all that we do. I wrote a post about the real work of Christian motherhood is who we are reflecting when we wash dishes and do laundry. It’s learning selflessness and service and humility. God has purpose for it all.

Clearly God is needing me to hear this right now…He brought me to writing about similar things and I can feel it on my heart so much lately that He is calling me to this job as a homemaker right now and that job IS enough! Thanks for writing this!

Oh Esther, I am so glad to hear this! And yes, I definitely think that the Lord is so good to bring us to the messages He has for us at a given time.

Thank you for this! Growing up, no one could ever understand why I didn’t want to go to college. I always told them I hoped to be a SAHM one day. I’m pretty sure they thought I was crazy, but now my dream has come true! 😉

I love that Hailey! I, too, have had a lot of people criticize my decision to be a stay-at-home-mom, but I definitely feel that it is my calling and I’m so glad to be able to do it. Yay for you that your dream has come true as well!

I struggle with being a homemaker for so long. I looked down on it because of what society tells us. Then I saw how me nuturing my home made my family prosper, and I knew that is where I needed to be.

I love this Nikki! Thank you for sharing, and it’s so true how much of a difference it makes :)

6. Jaclyn Castro says

This was such a blessing to read the article and to hear God reminding me of the decision I made to leave my job last week in the month of August (after praying about it since last year in November). So far there have been 2 family members looking down on my decision. Although, I stand firm in what I hear God calling me to do and that is to stay home and manage my home ministry, which He entrusted to me. Reading all the women having gone through similar struggles and doubts because of the world/society really helps me to know that I am not alone. Praising God for your obedience to focus on this topic. Thank you so much!

Jacklyn, thank you for taking the time to comment! I’m very sorry that you have experienced criticism for your choice. I have experienced that as well. I am praying for you right now–that the Lord will bless you in your obedience, that He will help you be a light to those around you as they watch you choose to follow Him even when it’s not the easy road. Thanks again for sharing.

7. Sarah says

I have to say I strongly, but kindly, disagree. The Proverbs 31 description of a woman clearly works outside the home (realty, merchant, etc). I truly believe that it’s up to each person to use the gifts they are given and that God does not “bound” a woman to only the home. If that is what you feel led to do, then do it, but you have to read in the difference in language (and there is a clear difference!) on cultural vs moral in a biblical sense. I don’t see any indication in Proverbs 31 that the women cares only for her home. She works in and out of the home AND cares for others… And makes money!

There is no “blanket” assumption that all women are only for the home and shouldn’t work.

Hi Sarah, I have to wonder if you read the article? In the very first paragraph, I noted that homemaking is something we are all called to and transcends the working mom or stay-at-home mom debate. The post wasn’t about that at all. I completely disagree with you that the Bible says we should work outside the home, and I certainly don’t feel “bound” to my home. I joyfully choose to be a stay at home mom.

However, that is my personal choice and feelings and, again, not at all what this post was about. I challenge you to point out where I said that women “are only for the home and shouldn’t work.” I never said that. Blessings to you and thank you for reading and commenting.

• Raven Niewoehner says

I agree Sara about the differences between cultural and moral values in the Bible. What I see in the scriptures Crystal highlighted is God giving women authority over certain things like the objects and systems that serve the needs of people (Proverbs 31), God giving women authority to have oversight over the details of family life for the success of the gospel (1 Timothy 5), God giving women authority to challenge the moral atmosphere of their home through their conduct in their personal relationships in the home (Titus 2). One moral theme my husband pointed out is that the different types of work the Proverbs 31 woman does, for instance, don’t bring her under the authority of a man not her husband. She doesn’t do deals in the market place or buy property because she has a boss. She’s an independent adult who can discern her talents and plan her schedule without a supervisor or colleagues to do lunch breaks with. Interesting how many of God’s systems in the Bible actually limit the number of people a woman is subject to whereas many modern day practices such as married women coming under the authority of bosses and companies in order to work for them actually subject women to the will of more authorities and to less freedom.